Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Leaving Home"



A House of My Own by Sandra Cisneros

It is a short story about a boy/girl or a student who lives quietly in a single room.
"Not a flat. Not an apartment in back. Not a man's house. Not a daddy's. A house all my own" It symbolized that the person is not staying either at her/his parent's or friend's house. She/he wanted to own everything such as books, a beautiful room, her favorite pictures, and books.
It seems she/he has a lot of siblings in her/his family which means she/he wished to have a cool room for him/her.
The quote, "My books and stories" ,symbolized that she/he was a student staying at a school dorm. There was a lot of space in his/her house for walking and playing around.

This topic is talking generally about the property/ownership of the house. I wish the poet could describe something deeply about his/ her emotion in the story as the story is very short and I don't have any idea what it is trying to say.

In my experience, it occurred to me too. I always wanted to own a small house for myself where I could study quietly without the people interrupting me everyday.




Saturday at the Canal
by Gary Soto

I find this very interesting and comparing with the other story. It is a short story about a poet who was very optimistic and happy about turning seventeen years old. The quote, "And feeling awful because San Francisco was a postcard on a bedroom wall", obviously showed that the poet found very boring at school and wished that she/he could visit San Francisco. "Stank of poor grades and unwashed hair'. At school, the teachers were not good at that time and the students used to get poor grades which mean that they have not washed their hair yet.The poet was identified as a female because she said "our hair was shoulder length" which means her hair is long over her shoulder. This topic is generally about the school stuff unlike from the 'A House of My Own' story.

On Saturday she used to go to watch the water at the canal with her friend when they were boring."We didn't drink or smoke" .It showed that she decided that she and her friends didn't smoke and drink because of age difference.
In my high school, not all students have washed their hair. Some of them are not very interested with their academic stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment